This is an online series on my adventure in ½ marathon training. I am trying to help folks who are considering doing a ½ marathon because chunky girls can do it too!!! I was amazed by the support and reaction to it so I thought I share some thoughts and hopefully serve as an inspiration. I have a good 50lbs to lose and yet I did it, 13.1 miles in the bank.
When I told folks I was training for a ½ marathon I got the following reactions:
- Incredulous: quick subtle scan of me head to toe and playing it off, smiling and saying, “Wow, really.”
- The obvious: “Girl, are you serious?” or “Girl, you are crazy.”
- Questionable: “You’re a runner?”
- The positive: “That’s great! You’re so inspirational.”
- Wonderment: “I don’t know how you do it.”
Yes, there’s always some education that need to happen so I fire off some quick responses:
- Informative: “Yes, there’s about 10 of my running friend and I training for a race on <insert date and time>
- Research: “Most runners are not you typical lean Olympian. They are like you and me.”
- Age defying: “Average runner’s age is in the 40s.”
- Defensive: “It’s a great way to get rid of a lot weight.” (Not really but more on that later.)
- Inviting: “Yeah. You wanna do it.”
- Credibility response: “Yeah, well I’ve done a number of 5Ks and 10Ks so it’s my next challenge for myself.”
- Inspirational: “I’ve seen other women do it, so why not me.”
Use these responses when you set that goal for yourself.